The Science of Keratin
These studies have inspired ProgenaCare to seek applications of keratin as a wound dressing.
Studies have proven that keratin stimulates keratinocyte migration and collagen synthesis, which is important for wound bed re-epithelialization. Keratin stimulates keratinocytes in vitro to produce increased Type IV and VII collagens which are central to basement membrane reconstitution during the healing process.1
ProgenaMatrix™ is a novel, advanced wound care product constructed from human keratin and is the only human keratin matrix commercially available.
The all-natural, robust human keratin protein that constitutes this specialized biomaterial offers a completely unique solution to wound care clinicians. The human keratin technology in ProgenaMatrix is hydrated, non-cellular (not tissue-based), non-resorbing, and supports the body’s own healing process. The bio-inspired design makes ProgenaMatrix the next generation of advanced wound therapy in the CMS skin substitute category.
• The matrix is made from all-natural components
° No synthetic ingredients
• ProgenaMatrix is NON-CELLULAR and NOT TISSUE-BASED
• ProgenaMatrix is a monolithic biomaterial made of protein and water
• Keratin is the predominant protein with several keratin subtypes
° Contains other non-keratin proteins also
• It is packaged in a sterile moisture-proof, peel-open pouch containing water and propylene glycol.
Features of ProgenaMatrix™
• The only Human Keratin Matrix
• Easy storage at room temperature; no fridge or freezer requirements
• Long shelf life: 2 years and 10 Months
• No need to rinse in sterile water or saline
• Compatible with secondary dressings
• Does not resorb or degrade into the wound
• Per the IFU, “UP” embossment denotes the side which should be facing away from the wound
• As the matrix dehydrates, the matrix corners & edges are prone to curl in the “UP” direction
• ProgenaMatrix also contains a grid embossment
° These lines demarcate 2cm increments
° The smallest square created by the grid embossment is approximately 2cm x 2cm
• Kosher certified
• No cultural or religious barriers, unlike porcine or human-tissue based products
ProgenaMatrix is indicated for dry and exuding partial and full-thickness wounds such as:
• Diabetic foot ulcers
• Pressure ulcers
• Partial-thickness burns
• Surgical wounds
• Donor sites and grafts
|2 cm x 2 cm||PM3002|
|4 cm x 4 cm||PM3004|
|6 cm x 6 cm||PM3006|
|10 cm x 10 cm||PM3010|
|12 cm x 2 cm||PM2012|
Q4222, ProgenaMatrix, Human Keratin Matrix, per cm2*
ProgenaMatrix Reimbursement Support
Please contact our ProgenaMatrix Patient Access Program for all reimbursement-related questions.
*ProgenaMatrix continues to be reimbursed in the higher bucket reimbursement group for CMS in 2021 and 2022. However in the printing of the CMS documents in 2021, Q4222 was reflected in the lower bucker reimbursement chart in error.
Reimbursement Support Hours 8:30am – 5:00pm ET, Monday – Friday
1Tang L, Sierra JO, Kelly R, Kirsner RS, Li J. Wool-derived keratin stimulates human keratinocyte migration and types IV and VII collagen expression. Experimental Dermatology, 2012, 21, 458-460