The Science of Keratin
These studies have inspired ProgenaCare to seek applications of keratin as a wound dressing.
Studies have proven that keratin stimulates keratinocyte migration and collagen synthesis, which is important for wound bed re-epithelialization. Keratin stimulates keratinocytes in vitro to produce increased Type IV and VII collagens which are central to basement membrane reconstitution during the healing process.1
ProgenaMatrix™ is a novel, advanced wound care product constructed from human keratin and is the only human keratin matrix commercially available.
The all-natural, robust human keratin protein that constitutes this specialized biomaterial offers a completely unique solution to wound care clinicians. The human keratin technology in ProgenaMatrix is hydrated, non-cellular (not tissue-based), non-resorbing, and supports the body’s own healing process. The bio-inspired design makes ProgenaMatrix the next generation of advanced wound therapy in the CMS skin substitute category.
• The matrix is made from all-natural components
° No synthetic ingredients
• ProgenaMatrix is NON-CELLULAR and NOT TISSUE-BASED
• ProgenaMatrix is a monolithic biomaterial made of protein and water
• Keratin is the predominant protein with several keratin subtypes
° Contains other non-keratin proteins also
• It is packaged in a sterile moisture-proof, peel-open pouch containing water and propylene glycol.
Features of ProgenaMatrix™
• The only Human Keratin Matrix
• Easy storage at room temperature; no fridge or freezer requirements
• Long shelf life: 2 years and 10 Months
• No need to rinse in sterile water or saline
• Compatible with secondary dressings
• Does not resorb or degrade into the wound
• Per the IFU, “UP” embossment denotes the side which should be facing away from the wound
• As the matrix dehydrates, the matrix corners & edges are prone to curl in the “UP” direction
• ProgenaMatrix also contains a grid embossment
° These lines demarcate 2cm increments
° The smallest square created by the grid embossment is approximately 2cm x 2cm
• Kosher certified
• No cultural or religious barriers, unlike porcine or human-tissue based products
• Diabetic foot ulcers
• Pressure ulcers
• Partial-thickness burns
• Surgical wounds
• Donor sites and grafts
Q4222, ProgenaMatrix, Human Keratin Matrix, per cm2
ProgenaMatrix Reimbursement Support
Please contact our ProgenaMatrix Patient Access Program for all reimbursement-related questions.
Reimbursement Support Hours 8:30am – 5:00pm ET, Monday – Friday
1Tang L, Sierra JO, Kelly R, Kirsner RS, Li J. Wool-derived keratin stimulates human keratinocyte migration and types IV and VII collagen expression. Experimental Dermatology, 2021, 21, 456-476